Married couples want to capture everything that transpired on their wedding day. They want to have photos which they can show to their children even years after the event. Because of this demand, more and more people are now working as wedding photographers – and you could be one of them. However, working as a wedding photographer isn’t easy as you’ll have a lot of competitors. It’ll be difficult for you to stand out as this market is already full of seasoned wedding photographers.
Regardless of where you’re working or who your target audience is, it’s safe to assume that there are already a handful of wedding photographers who are doing the same. Some of them might even start their careers long before you discovered your passion for photography. With this status quo, being a successful wedding photographer can be challenging, but it can always be done.
Here are some of the ways to do it:
- Invest in the right equipment.
Regardless of how efficient you are in finding that perfect angle or directing a model, you’ll never make it as a wedding photographer if you don’t have the right equipment. A wedding is a once in a lifetime event so expect that your clients will want high-quality photos. If you want to become a successful wedding photographer, invest in the tools which will able you to perform the job. Cameras, lenses, and flashes are just some of the equipment which should be on top of your list. Let the following tips help you during this process:
- If it’s your first time to buy any photography equipment, ask recommendations from friends and family who are also interested in the same niche. Don’t buy anything just because it’s the latest model, cheap or looks good. You want to buy equipment which can become your long-term investment so you should ask for recommendations from reliable sources.
- Aside from your own social circle, you can also ask recommendations from experts like Shane Cleminson. Since these people have been working as a wedding photographer for years, they’re the best persons to ask about what kind of camera works best in a specific wedding setting or where you can get the best deals for this equipment.
- Most of the photography equipment you’ll buy in the market today are expensive. Some might even require you to break the bank. If you want to make a smart investment, consider different factors before choosing. Cheap equipment doesn’t always mean that you got yourself a bargain.
- Take time to set up your own website.
Marketing is crucial in every business – and your wedding photography business is no exception. Even if you’ve successfully completed the 6 phases of starting a photography business, if you’re not marketing your services, all of your efforts will be worthless. Digital marketing is one of the cheapest and simplest ways for newbies to provide exposure to a wedding photography business. This is the reason why should have a website intended for marketing. Here’s how you can do it:
- Content is king when it comes to digital marketing. Writing high-quality and accurate content can be an excellent medium for you to entice clients, create a strong online presence and stand out from the competition. Always make sure that your content is relatable for soon-to-wed couples.
- Aside from content, your website should also serve as your portfolio. Your best photos should be visible in your website as this can significantly influence a client’s decision. If they can see how excellent your photos are, or how you’re able to capture the little details at a wedding, they’ll likely choose to pick you as their wedding photographer.
- However, solely creating a website just for the sake of it, will never give you the traction you need. Your website should be checked and updated on a regular basis. Content should be apt to the current trends in the industry and clients’ inquiries should be addressed promptly.
- Create a good impression online and get your first clients.
Aside from creating your own website, there are still several other options for you to market your photography business on the World Wide Web. Websites like Pinterest and Instagram can be excellent alternatives. If you want to strengthen communication between your target audiences, consider using an e-mail newsletter too. This can be an excellent way for you to keep in touch with your potential clients while providing them with updates on a regular basis. Just make sure that you consider the tips listed below when sending e-mail newsletters:
- Using e-mail newsletters as part of your business’s marketing campaign isn’t a one-time thing; it actually requires a long-term commitment. You should have a consistent schedule as to when you will send e-mail newsletters to your clients. If possible, your e-mail newsletters should be sent around the same time. Remember, timing matters.
- Regardless of how well-planned your e-mail newsletter strategy is, there should always be room for improvement. The success of your strategy today might not give you the same results once used after a few weeks or months. Always assess your existing strategies, audit which works and doesn’t, and make necessary changes along the way. The business arena is fast-paced, and newbies like you should be able to keep up with the times.
- Create and update your schedule regularly.
Unprofessionalism is a big no-no in the business arena. If you’re unprofessional towards your clients or colleagues, you’ll never have a career as a wedding photographer. One way of steering away from this direction is by creating and updating your schedule. Having a schedule is essential especially if you’re starting to get a steady flow of clients. Respecting your clients’ time and accommodating them the soonest time possible can go a long way to establish your wedding photography business. While you’re at it, pay attention to the following tips:
- There are many ways to keep track of your schedule. Apps, software and the traditional pen and paper are just some of your options. And you don’t have to worry because most of these tools are free or very cheap. Utilize these so you’ll know which clients to prioritize and when should you decline a client.
- Although it can be tempting, never accept any projects unless you’ve checked your schedule. Making hasty decisions just for the sake of earning will not only compromise the quality of your services but your name as a wedding photographer, too.
It’s Easy When You Know How
There are many reasons why people would decide to work as wedding photographers. While some are keen on the money they can earn, many are doing it because it’s actually their passion. They love to be a part of a couple’s most memorable day through the pictures they take. And while the road towards becoming a successful wedding photographer might not be a straight line, but as long as you’re genuinely passionate in what you do, you’ll achieve your goal in time. Along with your determination, this article can be an excellent resource to expedite this process.