Wedding Photography Tips - Do's & Dont's.
Wedding planning articles and tips to help you plan your special day. Discover a wealth of tips to help you start planning your wedding and have a perfect wedding day.
Wedding Photography Tips - Do's & Dont's.
Author : Thanasis Papadopoulos
Article Date : 25 Apr 2014
Wedding Photography, Styles & AestheticsPhotography is the only medium with which your wedding day will still be alive and unforgettable. As a result of that fact, the choice of the most suitable photographer for you is a key element. The right choice means and is equal to the right and best memories recorded. Make sure you choose wisely.
Your wedding pictures will become precious memories and mementos for your children and grandchildren to enjoy, why not choose the best possible photographer you can. Even if you have to reach a little above your budget, your pictures are not the place to skimp.
Wedding photography nowadays is a respected photographic area, which is escorted by creativity, quality, perfectionism (and the opposite of course), competitions, associations, organizations, etc.
Weddings are probably the only event in our world that is known and applied to every culture and nation. Sometimes it is regarded as the most important fact/thing in a persons life. Wedding photography has many styles, aesthetics and elements, wedding photojournalism, fashion photography,glamour photography, traditional wedding photography, experimental wedding photography to mention but a few.
Filtering Wedding PhotographersMany times a photographer has his own unique style which is a result of a mixture of the above.First you need to define which style and aesthetics is the one that you are looking for, which one suits you better and meets your expectations.
Then you need to do your research and filter the photographers and the quality of their photography. The photographers website is the mirror of his style, his aesthetics, the general quality of his work, even his personality. Photography is a discipline that belongs to the Art & Design area and therefore the presentation that the photographer chooses for his work not only is vital but it is part of his work. A badly designed can at times refelect the photographer.
It is not necessary that you have to find a photographer that is based in your city, not even in your country. International or Destination wedding photographers are willing to undertake any wedding project anywhere in the world (you have to expect to cover all the travelling and accommodation expenses though or strike a deal). The photographers quality of work is very important but equally important is his character and personality, after all during your wedding day you are going to spent more time together with your photographer than even with your friends or relatives. Read the signs, is he formal in his/her emails, sounds professional, honest, does he have a sense of humour?
In a few words...Do you think you can really rely on him/ her?
Your Wedding Photographer can make or break your day.
The photographer should be your colleague on that day not your employee.
Presentation, Negotiations, Questions & Answers.Lets say, that you found the photographer(s) you would prefer to cover your wedding.
It is time for negotiations, questions and answers...
- Does he/ she provides you with high resolution images? If not, then you have to calculate the expenses for prints, reprints and enlargements.
- How much will he/ she be charging you every time you need something.
- Photo Book or Digital album? It is a matter of taste.I personaly find Photo Books more elegant.
- Slideshow? Is it provided or even included in the price?
- Prints? As long as the photographer hands in high resolution photoshop adjusted images, you don't have to worry about that.
- Is there a second photographer included in the price and if not what is the price?
- Have in mind that the second photographers job may be assisting but it may also provide you with even better images of the day (and more)
- Location studio or TTD (Trash The Dress)? Included and/or how much does it cost?
If you are not familiar with those terms. Location studio is the photographic session before and/or after the wedding, sometimes addressed as portraits or portraiture. Trash The Dress is the more adventurous variation.
Since we mentioned all the above you need to clarify what you would like to get from the photographer. If you want a Photo Book and how many Photo Books you will receive. Albums, Slideshows, Prints e.t.c. Obviously all the above has to do with presentation and but the most important is the quality of the images!
What You Give Is What You Get.As in almost everything in life, the rule: what you give is what you get applies to wedding photography as well.
A few tips in order to lower the price follows:
- Consider a weekday wedding - Many professional wedding photographers charge less for weekday weddings.
- Consider the Shoot & Burn photographic service
This is a service in which the photographer submits only slightly adjusted high resolution images and sometimes a slideshow as well. You may not get photobooks or albums but you can always order them at a later stage or even spend some time and make these yourselves using one of the many websites that offer this service at very low price. It is better to cooperate with a high quality photographer on a shoot & burn agreement than with a low quality photographer that offers everything but at the end of the day nothing.
- Consider getting married during out of season months. Many professional wedding photographers charge less for winter weddings.
In a few words :
- Choose wisely and take your time.
- Your wedding photos are the only thing from your wedding that will last for ever!
- Define the wedding photography style you prefer.
- The photographers website and blog shows his/her creativity and professionalism.
- Do not limit your search within your neighborhood photographers, consider also Destination Wedding Photographers.
- Make clear what sort of presentation you require (photobook(s), album(s), slideshow(s) e.t.c)
- Let the quality be your priority and not the quantity.
- Have in mind that as in everything in life what you give is what you get.